Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's Wayne's World ...


I've been lucky enough to attend the monthly Handmade Expo, held at the Ipswich Turf Club, Bundamba, several times.
I was originally invited by @bubbachenille and I've never looked back. This is my favourite market in Brisbane - or Queensland for that matter.
Every single stall contains original works of art (wearable or otherwise) by incredibly talented Aussies.
It's reasonably priced, and there's such a lovely atmosphere.
I've been once with kids - where stallholders were happy to talk about and explain their work to the kids, even if we couldn't afford to buy anything (or just something cheap).
The stallholders' passion for their work and their enjoyment of our appreciation of same, was wonderful. Never did I feel like anyone was trying to give us the hard sell. They were just passionate about their work, and rightly so. It was beautiful.
We did buy a few pieces here and there, and everytime I wear anything I've bought from the expo, I get the nicest comments. And obviously recommend the expo to others.
Then last time, I met up with a dear school friend, whom I'd recently reconnected with.
It was great being able to enjoy the markets from a grown-up perspective, and we lingered over jewellery, health, and baby clothes stalls. (Well I loved the jewellery and my mate will soon be a very young, groovy granny and was shopping in earnest).
We chatted over an excellent cup of coffee, and each bought a cupcake treat to take home.
See usually, I will buy treats for the kids, but not for me. Because the meds I'm on have piled on the weight, and I eat next to nothing and exercise to avoid putting on more.
But as we're both into living mindfully, we decided to treat ourselves to a cupcake. To enjoy, in privacy, much later.
So with my friend's 'permission' I bought one for myself.
Hours later, I sat down to enjoy it. Mine was a custard cupcake, and what a wonderful work of art it was. The icing was delicious, without being too sweet, and the cake was like Mum used to make. But the surprise was a pocket of custard in the middle of the cake.
I sat, alone in the sun, knowing my friend was doing the same, and enjoyed my treat.
It was (blush) orgasmic.
Tomorrow apparently there will be human handmade goods on offer, in the form of fireman Wayne.
Now my nephew and cousin are fire fighters, so I rarely get into firefighter fantasies, because that would be just wrong. But in Wayne's case, I'm happy to make an exception.
My tweeps and FB mates have all swapped all sorts of tasteless comments about Wayne. Mainly involving his big, powerful hose. And I admire the poor bloke, still wanting to attend the expo in the notion that he might possibly be mauled by all sorts of females (and males!)
So cheer up election day, by dropping by the Handmade Expo, and buying a few of Wayne's calendars. If you're lucky he may let you handle his hose.
(Honestly, sorry Wayne and your partner/family. Couldn't resist!)
If You Go:
The Ipswich Handmade Expo is at Ipswich Turf Club, Bundamba.
Saturday: 81m-2pm
Entry and parking is free.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Me and My 4 Fellas said...

Hi Bronnie...thanks heaps for this wonderful blog post...You are fabulous with words and appreciate it very much.

Just to let you know WAYNE wont be at the market tomorrow, however, he will be there in November...

See you tomorrow morning

From
Liesa

Micky - Handmade Expo said...

Hi Bronnie, I agree with liesa, what a fabulous blog post, thank you so much I really enjoyed reading it and can't wait for the next one..

We are looking forward to the firemen too - I wish they were coming this month but we have to wait a couple more months for Wayne :)

Thanks again and please come and say hi :)

Micky
xxoo

Micky - Handmade Expo said...

Hi Bronnie, I agree with liesa, what a fabulous blog post, thank you so much I really enjoyed reading it and can't wait for the next one..

We are looking forward to the firemen too - I wish they were coming this month but we have to wait a couple more months for Wayne :)

Thanks again and please come and say hi :)

Micky
xxoo

Unknown said...

Oh no, no Wayne? Well I guess I can still visit tomorrow, because you have so many other yummy things on offer ...) And the steamtrain, who can beat that?

bubbachenille said...

Oh Bronnie, thanks from me too, especially for the bubbachenille mention. I am hoping in a wierd way we haven't met because seeing I am nearly 50 now and sometimes I dont remember things very well, I would be so sorry if we have met and I didn't remember! Hope you'll be able to make "Wayne " day in November! I really want to lock in my memory meeting you ( maybe again ! )
Miriam :-)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

LOL Bronnie. Cutest ever post. I loved hearing about how you savoured that cupcake and then about the fireman. I was wondering what the first picture had to do with it!

So Now What? said...

Still a little unsure about the connection between Wayne and cupcakes but I don't care! There certainly is something about a fireman and his big hose. Oh and cupcakes with inside surprises? Make everyday a better one.

I truly love these blogs, you find the coolest places!

Bern x

Ms_MotorbikeNut said...

Must get my hubby & me to a handmade expo or weekend markets.

Unknown said...

Oh thank you everyone, you are so kind! Bubbachenille I don't THINK we've met formerly, although I probably have bought something off you. But I will try to get to the next one, and will be sure to introduce myself to you all. Thanks again xo